Freedom Friday

Phew! My family and I survived our first week of me being a working mom. The first day was tough as nails, my jaw hurting so bad fighting back those tears as I left my boy for the day, the second day was easier but I still felt the welling of tears in my eyes, but by the third day, I left with no feeling of tears, Big Ring felt more confident with daycare duties, and Little Ring made a buddy and slept for 2 hours at nap time. Success.

And the fourth day… oh wait, there wasn’t a fourth day!!!

First day of daycare.

Instead of going back to work full-time, we decided I’d go back 4 days to save on daycare, gas, tolls, and wear and tear on the car, and also to grant us more quality time as a family. (Big Ring has Fridays off as well) And because this week started with the Labour Day holiday that meant only 3 days of work for me. Wahoo!

And what did I do with my first ever Freedom Friday? Went for a run of course 😀

Already loving this day!


  • 10 a.m. BG before: 7.4
  • Temp. basal: none
  • Carbs: granola bar (14g) half bolus
  • Time: 1:17:45 (plus 5 minute warmup)
  • Distance: 13.35 km
  • Average pace: 5:50 min/km
  • Average cadence: 85 spm
  • 12 p.m. BG after: 9.7

This wasn’t a perfect run. I had major issues with my blood sugars and glucose metres. At 30 minutes I tested and they were down to 4.2, so I took in a dark-chocolate Agave #9 gel (I kid you not, this tasted like melted chocolate – NOT gel!) and half a tube of Pocket Fuel before starting back up again. Twenty minutes later I was starting to feel a bit off, like a low was coming on. So I stopped and tested again, or at least I tried. I got a couple error messages before finding a strip that would allow me to test. The test came in at 3.7, which corroborated the off feeling I was experiencing, but something inside me told me to test again. I did and the second test came in at 7.1. What the??? I tested again and was at 5.4. Are you freaking kidding me? What the hell result was I to believe?

It could have been the sweat, it could have been remnants of the gel from 30 minutes ago still on my fingers, or it could have been the metre has finally gone to the toilets… which is exactly what I’m thinking happened given the multiple error messages I was getting.

Stupid metre!

I decided to play it safe and took a couple shot blocks before getting back to my run. And given that I ended with a 9.7 reading post-run, my guess is the 5.4 result was probably the more accurate of the three. Ugh.

But hey, a positive: I’m pretty sure I’m 90% injury free!!! Wahoo!!!

3 thoughts on “Freedom Friday”

  1. This irritates me almost more than it does you. I hate these meters that act up like that. Who the hell knows but sometimes we can’t carry a hand wash station with us and we can be careful not to get gel on our fingers but c’mon. So frustrating. When i was running I could rarely rely on my meter. Something always went wrong.
    and the #9 gels are pretty fantastic, I loves them! But they are a slower acting carb, so not always the best for quick glucose low fixes.
    LOVE the pic… you’re so cute!

  2. Your little guy is so sweet! Congrats on making it through the first week and how nice that you guys all get that extra day together on Fridays!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: