Athleticism all around

Yoga, Cycling, Canucks, oh my! It was one of those amazing kind of days. From practically the moment I got up to the moment I went to bed I was decked out in exercise gear (aside from my pajamas of course). It wasn’t supposed to be an athleticism all day kind of day, but the sun came out and we just couldn’t pass up the opportunity for a ride, especially given that we didn’t ride yesterday.

First things first though.


  • 9 a.m. BG before 6.0
  • 75 minutes: felt awesome. I was holding my poses, my balance, for me, was good, my legs weren’t seizing up from too much tightness, and my abs were throbbing when she added in some ab work, which I much appreciated given that I never have the motivation to do abs on my own. But when she introduced the “crow” position (seriously, who came up with these names) my body was having absolutely none of that!
  • 10:30 a.m. BG after: 7.1

When Mario got home he offered up the idea of a ride, and at first I wasn’t too sure given that I had just changed my infusion site this morning and didn’t take into account that we would be going for a ride. I positioned it fairly low on my belly, which when I went for a ride the last time, my cycling shorts rubbed against the infusion and caused blood to splurt through the canula – not something I wanted to happen again.

But, I came up with a brilliant plan: Bandage the sucker right up.

Now that's some sweet post-op bandaging!

And it worked! I peeled it off after the ride (OUCH!!!) and no blood in the canula at all! Woohoo!

To all my diabetics out there: How do you guys keep your infusion sites safe when running/cycling/hiking/etc?


  • 3 p.m. BG before: 9.0 (just where I like them to be b/f a ride)
  • Total distance: 26.90 km
  • Average speed: 20.0 km/h
  • Fastest speed: 45.7 km/h
  • Time: 1:20
  • 5 p.m. BG after: 6.0

View Interactive Map on

All through the ride I was trying my hardest not to let my competitiveness get the better of me. Both Mario and I have things to do tomorrow (he’s got the Road Hockey Stanley Stick and I’ve got a run) and I didn’t want to blow all my steam today and have nothing in the tank for tomorrow. So I was trying to peddle as comfortably as I could, and not get annoyed when people passed me (yes, I have issues with that both in running and cycling) and just take in the beautiful day – and try to not get blown over by the force of the crazy wind! Pretty much the whole ride we were cycling into the wind. When we were down at Jericho, my face literally got sandblasted by the sand whipping around and I couldn’t hear a thing Mario was saying to me because of the intensity of the wind. And in some spots, I was in desperate need of a Team Astana flying V peloton!

Checking out the grease stains at Jericho Pier

By the time we got back to the car, my legs were sleepy, my eyes were sleepy, my belly was starving.

Much deserved post-ride crackers.

We topped the evening off with the Canucks (5-1! Woot-Woot!) and my favourite Mediterranean meal consisting of a chicken breast, covered in rosemary, garlic, sesame seeds, sea salt and olive oil, spaghetti noodles with olive oil and parmesan (fell in love with this last year in Italy) and Greek salad = fuel for tomorrow.

And speaking of tomorrow, while I’ll be out running 7-8 km, my favourite running gals will be out running the BMO Vancouver Half! Wishing you all the most amazing, rain-free, sunshiny run – you’re so gonna rock that run 🙂

Leave a Reply